Meet Your Doula
Rebecca Mills, Doula
Hi, I’m Rebecca Mills. I am a DONA-trained birth doula and CAPPA-trained Post Partum Doula, Educator, and Mother of Multiples. My training also includes Basic Life Support (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) by the American Heart Association. “My journey toward supporting families began as a child when I would listen to my mom’s stories of working as a Labor & Delivery nurse. Whenever I had questions, she gave me honest answers and even shared her nursing texts with me. As a teenager, I babysat and learned a lot from the families who entrusted me with their children. Long before I became a parent, I knew that I wanted to have an unmedicated birth, breastfeed my baby, use cloth diapers, and more. When my first son was born, I quickly discovered how challenging motherhood can be and the importance of preparation, adaptability, and the right kind of support.
I took the first steps toward becoming a birth & baby professional when my oldest son was a toddler, attending a DONA-sponsored birth doula training. My plans were put on hold when I became pregnant with twins later that year. After our family moved from Michigan to Tennessee, I shifted my focus to postpartum/newborn support and education and attended a CAPPA-sponsored postpartum doula workshop and that’s when my journey began.
Cloth diapering advocate and educator in Middle Tennessee (Nashville area)
In addition, I developed a hands-on cloth diapering class, Introduction to Cloth Diapers class and started the local cloth diaper group on Facebook, Cloth Diapering Families of Middle TN, where over 500 members discuss cloth diapering and buy/sell/trade diapers. Please feel free to become a member of the cloth diapering community on our Facebook group page.
In my personal life, I am a married mother of 3 little boys including identical twins, an active member and leader of my local MOMS Club chapter, and a frequent volunteer and PTO member at my oldest son’s elementary school. I am also a member of Sumner County Women in Business, a Mastermind Group for women business owners and women professionals.
What is a Postpartum Doula?
A postpartum doula is a specially trained “Mother-baby Care Professional” who provides evidence-based information, physical help, and emotional support for families to help ease the transition during the first days and weeks after a new baby is born. As your postpartum doula or Newborn & Family Care Expert, I can provide:
• Postpartum mother care and support
• Assistance with newborn care and family education
• Infant feeding (breast and/or bottle) education and support
• Sibling adjustment and care
• Light housekeeping (laundry, dishes, sweeping, etc.)
• Meal planning and preparation
• Cloth diaper demonstration, prepping, and washing
• Babywearing demonstration
• Referrals to other professionals
I also help connect families with needed resources and offer information on topics including:
• Planning for the postpartum/newborn period
• After-birth care for mothers (physical & emotional)
• Normal newborn appearance and behaviors
• Soothing and sleep
• Car seat selection and safety
• Circumcision information and resources
• Cloth diapers
• Babywearing: slings, structured carriers, wraps, etc.
• Sibling adjustment
• Multiples (twins, triplets, etc.) pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, etc.
• Connecting with other families and organizations in the community