Professional support from your Postpartum Doula and Newborn Care Specialist
Postpartum Doulas provide non-medical support to families welcoming a new baby or babies by offering:
- Information, companionship, and nonjudgmental support during the period of adjustment after a baby is born
- Assistance with newborn care, sibling care, meal preparation, and household organization
- Evidence-based information on infant feeding and care, emotional and physical recovery from birth, and coping skills for new parents
- Resources and referrals as needed for advanced lactation support, medical or mental health care providers, etc.
Newborn Care Specialists (NCS) are individuals trained and skilled in newborn care. NCS typically provide more direct care for the newborn while supporting and educating parents.
By Your Side Family Doula offers the best of both, with extensive training and experience as a Postpartum Doula and NCS. Your family will benefit from the whole-family support of a Postpartum Doula along the specialized knowledge and skill of a Newborn Care Specialist. By Your Side Family Doula can provide information and support with all aspects of postpartum recovery and newborn care:
- Infant Feeding: breastfeeding, chestfeeding, bottle feeding, formula, expressed milk, pumping, and alternative feeding systems
- Normal newborn appearance and behaviors
- Soothing and sleep
- Reflux and colic
- Bathing and diapering, including cloth diapers
- Circumcision information
- Car seat selection and safety
- Normal physical recovery after cesarean or vaginal birth
- Emotional adjustments including “baby blues” and signs of Perinatal Mood Disorders
- Sibling adjustment
- Multiples (twins, triplets, etc.) pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, etc.