DONA-trained birth doula and CAPPA-trained Post Partum Doula
aka “Newborn & Mother Care Expert”
As a Post Partum Family Doula or “Newborn & Mother Care Expert,” I provide physical and emotional support to families welcoming a new baby by:
- Providing education, companionship, and nonjudgmental support during the postpartum fourth trimester.
- Assisting with newborn care, family adjustment, meal preparation, and light household tidying.
- Providing evidence-based information on infant feeding, emotional and physical recovery from birth, infant soothing and coping skills for new parents, and
- Connecting families with resources and offering information on topics including:
- Infant Feeding (Breast and/or Bottle)
- Normal newborn appearance and behaviors
- After-birth care for mothers (physical & emotional)
- Soothing and sleep
- Sibling adjustment
- Car seat selection and safety
- Circumcision information and resources
- Cloth diapering
- Multiples (twins, triplets, etc.) pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, etc.
Why Use a Doula?
Women have complex needs during childbirth and the weeks that follow. In addition to medical care and the love and companionship provided by their partners, women need consistent, continuous reassurance, comfort, encouragement, and respect. They need individualized care based on their circumstances and preferences.
Research shows parents who receive support can:
- Feel more secure and cared for
- Are more successful in adapting to new family dynamics
- Have greater success with breastfeeding
- Have greater self-confidence
- Have less postpartum depression
- Have lower incidence of abuse